Recent research into the practices of designing includes reflection on ways in which the domains for designing and the role(s) of designers have changed. These inquiries echo some of the same questions that arose during the Design Methods Movement of the late 1960s and early 1970s.
This presentation focuses on exploring some perspectives associated with 21st century advances and challenges to designers:
1. Solution to a problem in context ~ Wicked problems
2. Functions in things ~ Affordances alongside interactions
3. Production systems ~ Service systems
The types of projects, activities and technologies for the contemporary designer have changed. The practical and philosophical implications incorporating these perspectives will be discussed.
David Ing, "Wicked Problems, Affordances, Service Systems: Some perspectives for designing", public lecture at Tongji University College of Design and Innovation, Shanghai, PR China, November 24, 2017.
- [view/download presentation slides as ODP] (22 MB)
- [view/download presentation slides as PDF] (7.2MB)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License